Campus holiday schedule announced
The 2012-13 holiday schedule for the Urbana campus:
- Wednesday, July 4: Independence Day
- Monday, Sept. 3: Labor Day
- Thursday, Nov. 22: Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, Nov. 23: day after Thanksgiving(designated holiday)
- Monday, Dec. 24: half-day gift (from the chancellor and the president) / half-day excused*
- Tuesday, Dec. 25: Christmas
- Wednesday, Dec. 26: day after Christmas (designated holiday)
- Thursday, Friday and Monday,Dec. 27, 28 and 31: Reduced-service days**
- Tuesday, Jan. 1: New Year’s Day
- Monday, Jan. 21: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday, May 27: Memorial Day
* By university policy, if Christmas falls on a Tuesday through Friday, employees are given an excused half-day on Christmas Eve.
**Dec. 27, 28 and 31 are reduced-service days. As in past years, it is expected that most units will be closed and most employees will not be working on these days. Additional information about these reduced-service days will be available closer to the holiday period. Employees can choose to use three days of benefits (vacation, floating holidays), or take time without pay, or any combination.
Employees have two floating holidays that can be taken anytime during this fiscal year; however, the scheduling of these holidays is subject to departmental approval.
Renew parking permits now
Parking permits for faculty and staff members may be renewed online or at the Parking Department office. If you are not renewing, you must stop your payroll deduction. More information about rates and about changes in parking is online or call 217-333-3530.
Summer book club feature announced
The Women’s Resources Center will host a summer book club during July. The featured book, “Fat: The Story of My Life With My Body,” is a memoir by award-winning writer and scholar Jean Braithwaite, a professor of English at the University of Texas-Pan American. This book maps out her relationship with her body – fat, thin and transitioning – and looks at obesity in modern America culture.
The group will meet Thursdays with a book discussion from 5 to 6 p.m. at the Women’s Resources Center, second floor, 703 S. Wright St. The schedule: chapters 1-5 (July 5), chapters 6-11 (July 12), chapters 11-16 (July 19) and chapters 17-22 (July 26).
2012-13 season announced
Soul-nurturing, unexpected, refreshing, contemplative, daring, whimsical and catalyzing – it’s the 2012-13 season at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Experience the power of classical music from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, ECCO, the Philharmonia Orchestra and the China National Symphony Orchestra, and revel in genre-bending explorations from STREB, The Builders Association, the Bebe Miller Company and SITI Company. Jazz enthusiasts will delight in appearances by Stefon Harris, Dee Dee Bridgewater and Ahmad Jamal, and audiences of all ages will rejoice at the Opening Night Party featuring La Excelencia on Sept. 8.
Season brochures are now available. Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Aug. 11.
For more updates, check KrannertCenter.com.