In June 1895, the UI Board of Trustees approved a special appropriation of $5,000, "intended to cover the expense of carrying on a systematic survey of the waters of the state" This was the beginning of the State Water Survey, which officially commenced work Sept. 1, 1895. As a unit of the UI department of chemistry, the Water Survey also addressed the health and safety of public water supplies, including the spread of waterborne disease, particularly typhoid; water-softening methods; sewage and wastewater treatment; and the establishment of sanitary standards for drinking water. The Water Survey occupied quarters in the Chemical Laboratory (now Harker Hall) until 1915, when it moved into a new addition to the Chemistry Laboratory (now Noyes Laboratory). Survey staff members now work at the Water Survey Research Center, 2204 Griffith Drive, Champaign, and at the newly renovated Peoria Research Laboratory. Under the direction of the first chief, Arthur Palmer, the Water Survey began performing chemical analyses of water samples free of charge for Illinois residents, thereby establishing a public service program that continues to this day. Today, Water Survey activities are organized under three major scientific divisions and an administrative division, which address critical water resource issues, including groundwater quality, sedimentation and erosion, weather and climate stresses on the environment and the economy, and flooding in both urban areas and open waters.