Private giving to the UI Foundation has nearly doubled in the last five years. Combined private support to the foundation and university in fiscal year 1996, which ended June 30, was $143 million, according to the university's chief financial officer.
Craig Bazzani, UI vice president for business and finance, announced the fund-raising figures at the business session of the UI Foundation's 61st Annual Meeting Oct. 4 on the Urbana- Champaign campus.
Bazzani, who also serves as the foundation's treasurer, said private gifts through the UI Foundation reached $77 million in fiscal year 1996, up from $39.2 million in FY 1992. In FY 96 the university directly received $66 million in private support.
More than one-third of the $143 million total (35 percent or $49.3 million) came from individual alumni and friends of the university, noted Bazzani. Coupled with the remaining 65 percent ($93.7 million) given by corporations, foundations and associations, the private gifts and contracts provide support for UI students, staff members and programs across its three campuses in Springfield, Chicago and Urbana-Champaign.
Nearly 29 percent of the gifts ($41.4 million) was earmarked for endowed funds, investments held in perpetuity that earn income to support whichever UI programs a donor designates. According to Bazzani, the entire UI and foundation endowment picture reflects a total of $727.1 million at fiscal year-end '96.
Membership in the Presidents Council, the university's highest donor recognition program administered by the UI Foundation -- with a minimum giving prerequisite of $15,000 -- also has multiplied. Membership in the Presidents Council rose from 2,071 in 1986 to 6,720 in FY 96.