Library task force announced
A letter from Provost Larry Faulkner and Senate Council Chair Richard
Schacht has gone out to the members of the Task Force on the Future of the
University Library to confirm their appointments and to offer direction
in their work.
The charges include:
- Defining and evaluating the challenges posed to the library by the
escalation in costs for traditional materials and demands for new materials
- Reviewing the library's proposals for addressing these challenges.
- Converging upon and recommending a specific strategy, based on clear
assumptions and their implications, for developing the library in the next
- Reviewing the disposition of the library's current resources in reference
to the recommended strategy and recommending appropriate changes.
- Recommending an institutional policy concerning the development of
new resources for the library, within annual budget requests, by internal
reallocation, or other means, in the light of other discernible demands
on the same resources.
The members of the task force: Thomas M. Mengler (chairman), dean of
the College of Law; George F. Badger, associate vice chancellor, Office
of the Vice Chancellor for Research; Nina Baym, professor of English; Howard
K. Birnbaum, director of the Materials Research Laboratory; Paul W. Bohn,
professor of chemistry; Leigh S. Estabrook, dean of the Graduate School
of Library and Information Science; Jesse G. Delia, dean of the College
of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Lizanne DeStefano, professor of educational
psychology; William R. Schowalter, dean of the College of Engineering; Tom
R. Ward, professor of music.
A report has been requested by Nov. 15.
Comments to: Inside Illinois Editor Doris Dahl,
(217) 333-2895, email@example.com
More about Inside Illinois and its staff
Back to this issue's index
Back to the Inside Illinois
Back to the U. of I. News
University of Illinois